Cockroach Species, Types, Habitat, Facts, Lifespan, Reproduction, Characteristics, and other facts and researches are listed on this page.
- What is a Cockroach?
- Scientific Name of Cockroaches
- Types of Cockroaches
- Cockroaches Species
- Cockroach Facts
- Cockroach Diet: What does the cockroach eat?
- How to get rid of cockroaches?
- What does a cockroach look like?
- Cockroach lifespan
- How many legs does a Cockroach have?
- Cockroach Habitat: Where do cockroaches live?
- Do cockroaches have wings?
- Why do cockroaches exist?
- Reproduction in Cockroaches
What is a Cockroach?
Cockroach includes termites and the insects of the order Blattodea. There is only 30 species of cockroaches are associated with human habitats. And only four species are well known as pests. The cockroaches are an ancient group which securely surviving from 320 million years ago.
Cockroaches are somewhat generalized insects without special sucking mouthparts of aphids and other true bugs which have chewing mouthparts and most primitive of living neopteran insects. They are common insects which can tolerate a wide range of environment from lowest cold level to high-level temperature.
Scientific Name of Cockroaches
The scientific name for the different cockroaches is different. The cockroaches come under the Kingdom Animalia and belong to the phylum Arthropoda, Class Insecta and order Blattodea. The name of order is taken from the Greek Blatta. Scientific names of the different species of cockroaches can be different. Although, they all belong to the same order Blattodea.
Types of Cockroaches
Cockroaches are existing on this planet for millions of years and are closely related to termites and the praying mantis. Most of the species of the cockroaches don’t come around the human habitats. The most common species of the cockroaches include the German Cockroaches, Brown-banded cockroaches, American Cockroaches, and oriental cockroaches.
- American Cockroach – Periplaneta Americana
- Florida Woods Cockroach – Eurycotis Floridana
- Oriental Cockroach – Blatta Orientalis
- German Cockroach – Blattella Germanica
- Asian Cockroach – Blatella Asahinai
- Surinam Cockroach – Pycnoscelus Surinamensis
- Brown Banded Cockroach – Supella Longipalpa
- Australian Cockroach – Periplaneta Australasiae
- Smoky Brown Cockroach – Periplaneta Fuliginosa
- Pennsylvania Woods Cockroach – Parcoblatta Pennsylvanica
- Brown Cockroach – Periplaneta Brunnea
- Madagascar Hissing Cockroach – Gromphadorhina Portentosa
The most of the species of cockroaches exist in the wild and don’t come around the habitat of the human beings. You can see only 30 species of cockroaches in the human habitat surroundings. There are more than 4500 species of the cockroaches exists across the world. You will amaze to know that only four species of the cockroaches count as the pests. Here is the list of several species of cockroaches:
- Pennsylvania wood cockroach
- Oriental cockroach
- Dubia roach
- Florida woods cockroach
- German cockroach
- Ectobius vittiventris
- Brown banded cockroach
- American cockroach
- Eupolyphaga sinensis
- Dusky cockroach
- Parcoblatta virginica
- Madagascar hissing cockroach
- Blaberus giganteus
- Lucihormetica verrucosa
- Brown cockroach
- Blattella asahinai
- Saltoblattella montistabularis
- Cryptocercus garciai
- Blaberus discoidalis
- Death’s head cockroach
- Smokybrown cockroach
- Forest cockroach
- Australian cockroach
- Parcoblatta Fulvescens
- Cuban cockroach
- Speckled cockroach
- Gromphadorhina Oblongonota
- Lucihormetica luckae
- Princisia vanwaerebeki
- Periplaneta aboriginea
- Cockroaches can survive one month without food but only one week can live without water.
- Cockroaches are cannibals.
- Cockroaches can’t survive a nuclear explosion as it just a myth.
- Cockroaches can squeeze to go through the tiniest gaps.
- Cockroaches can diagnosis asthama.
- It can easily survive without head up to one week.
- Cockroaches can run fast up t 1.5 m per second.
- Yet the cockroaches have wings, they can’t fly. Only glide.
- Cockroaches can hold their breath up to 40 minutes.
- Cockroaches are older than dinosaurs.
- There are more than 4,000 species of the cockroaches exists across the world.
- Several species of cockroaches can grow over 3 inches long.
- Cockroaches live in groups.
- Some female cockroaches need only once to mate.
- Some species of cockroaches that you can keep as a pet.
- Cockroaches are edible.
- There is another species of cockroach that can jump.
Cockroach Diet: What does the cockroach eat?
Cockroaches are omnivorous and consume organic food source available in the surroundings. Although, they prefer to get meats, sweets, and starches they also consume other items such as books, hair and decaying matter. Cockroaches almost eat everything that available.
The eating of the food for cockroaches depends on their habitat: cockroaches live on the tree consume the decaying wood while cockroaches that inhabit sewers feed on sewage. The cockroaches can live for a month without food but can’t live more than a week without water.
How to get rid of cockroaches?
There are two methods to get rid from the cockroaches: use the powerful insecticides or use natural process. The use of the chemicals provides you instant results but they are harmful for the human beings as well. But if you follow the organic process to repel the cockroaches can be slow as it is safe as well. So, here are few tips to prevent your house from being cockroach habitat:
- Clean the household things on time.
- Seal up crack and holes between countertop and the wall, and in the baseboards.
- Cockroaches attracted to moisture and water from leaks in pipes.
- Make your own insecticide to repel cockroaches by mixing three parts boric acid with one part of powdered sugar.
- You can use the solution of soap spraying on the cockroach and water on it. The soap essentially suffocates them. Or you could just step on it to get instant rid.
What does a cockroach look like?
The body of the cockroaches, flat oval shaped. The bodies of the cockroaches are oily to touch. The cockroach head is small and covered by a shield like pronotum. The cockroach mouth is directed backwards and down. The cockroaches have the six spiny long legs that allow them to run quickly across almost any surface.
Some species of cockroaches have wings that are flattened against their backs although not all cockroaches use these wings for flight. The male cockroaches are smaller as compared to females. The size of the cockroaches varies according to their species.
The lifespan of the cockroaches is divided into three stages. The life of the cockroach starts with egg to adult. The cockroaches can live up to one month without any food but it can’t survive up to a week without water. The cockroaches are cold-blooded animals, so, they need water to maintain the temperature in their bodies. The adult females can produce six to fourteen oothecae in one life span. The cockroach females produce egg cases known as the oothecae.
In the good conditions and optimal temperatures, it takes 24-38 days to develop immature cockroaches known as nymphs. After going their final molt, they get the wings and reproductive capabilities. This process takes almost 6 to 12 months.
How many legs does a Cockroach have?
Cockroaches are insects as they have three pairs of legs linked to their thorax. The cockroaches have the total six legs to full their body. There are three pairs of legs with large coxae and five claws for each. The front legs are shorter as compared to the hind legs that provide the propulsive power when the insect runs. The structure has been used as inspiration for robotic legs.
Cockroach Habitat: Where do cockroaches live?
The cockroach is able to survive almost anywhere that water, food and shelter are available. It’s no fluke that the pests thrive in houses because humans have similar needs.
Lawn or Trash clippings that collect too close homes may forage the insects indoors. The cockroaches prefer to be close to food and water. These pests often move into kitchens and bathrooms.
Cockroaches are commonly found under places where plumbing and sewers leaks are found. Sanitation is the only way to avoid problems with these pests.
Do cockroaches have wings?
The wings of the adult female cockroaches have the same length as their bodies or little shorter while the males extend a little bit beyond the tip of their abdomen. Cockroaches have the capability of flight yet can’t fly with these wings. Some of the species have the ability to fly.
The cockroaches develop the wings in the process of being adult from nymphs. In few species of cockroaches, only males have wings like brown-banded cockroaches.
Why do cockroaches exist?
Cockroaches are successfully surviving from 320 million years or before the age of the dinosaurs. There are more than 4500 species of the cockroaches exists across the world. But here are only 30 species of the cockroaches commonly see in the human being habitat in which, only four species count as the pests.
The cockroaches are easy to survive on the earth as they are familiar to eat anything available in their surroundings. The cockroaches are usually unaffected by their surroundings as their bodies produce a natural antibiotic to protect them.
Reproduction in Cockroaches
Cockroaches use the special kind of chemical to attract mates and males practice courtship such as stridulation and posturing. Sometimes, the female cockroaches are seen carrying egg cases on the end of their abdomens.
Cockroaches have incomplete metamorphosis which means that the nymphs are generally similar to the adults. It can take nearly one year to fully develop the cockroach which is slow. The adults are long lived and survived for as much as four years in the laboratory.
Get More Facts on Insect Species